Thread: GE Profile PFSS6PKXASS Ice Maker quit working [FIXED]

GE Profile PFSS6PKXASS Ice Maker quit working [FIXED]

Model Number: PFSS6PKXASS
    Brand: GE

My GE Profile French Door Refridgerator Ice Maker quit working.

I have pressed the test button. It doesn't appear to do anything. It shows a mfg date 7-3-08.

I have tried changing the temperature from 8 degrees to the recommended -2. Then I read someplace on-line it shouldn't be set below 0 or it can freeze up the unit. I read if the ice maker was mfg before March 08, then the ice maker is most likely bad. Mine appears to be mfg after that date.

It appears the ice maker is made by Samsung and from what I can tell the part number is WR30X10097.

I haven't changed the water filter for a while, but I did reset it. I'm not sure if that may affect the ice maker or not.

I also read that if the Motherboard was before Rev 4.02 the problem is most likely the motherboard.

My motherboard shows 08 Profile LED Main Rev 2.10 and 08 Profile LED Load Rev 2.02.
    From what I have found it appears the part number for the motherboard is WR55X10763.

I did also unplug the refridgerator for a couple minutes. I know many times with PC's that a power reset fixes lots of issues. Just waiting to see what happens now.

I don't want to spend $150 to $200 for a mother board, or $70 to $150 for an ice maker only to find out I didn't need one or the other. Or maybe neither.

I suspect both parts would be non-returnable from anywhere I ordered them. All vendors I have seen say electrical parts that have been installed or tested can't be returned. And the only way I know for sure if the part is bad it to replace it and test with a new part.

It may be best to have an applicance tech come out... but I'm sure I would pay for the diagnosis plus a premium for their part.

I saw one site where the person was told to replace the motherboard. He did, but then I never saw if it resolved the issue or not. His last post was that the ice maker was still not working. The last reply was that it could take 24 hrs for the unit to stabilize before it would make ice.

I appreciate any help or information others may have....

I am not sure if you have read this article that I wrote about this WR30X10097 ice maker. It should answer quite a few of the questions that you were wondering.

Here is the article: GE WR30X10097 Ice Maker - Service & Replacement Info

The only test that you can do with the ice maker is to press the "test" button on the side of the ice maker. Holding this button down for a few seconds should cause the ice maker to cycle (dump ice, and refill with water). There is no way that I know of to test the control board. The most common thing to fail is the ice maker on these refrigerators, so that is what I would recommend replacing first. Some older models require the control board to be replaced because they updated the software to prevent issues with the ice maker, see the link above for more information about that.

The WR30X10097 ice maker is the part number that GE uses. The Samsung part number is DA97-05422A. They are the exact same ice maker, except the Samsung one is almost half the cost.

You can read about our return policy here:
    http://partsdr.com/returns/

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks... I called GE who said to replace the filter first, which did seem to help some. At least the rate at which the refridgerator dispenses the water.
    Still no ice after a couple of days.
    I will order the Samsung replacement ice maker from you as my next step. Both you and a vendor on eBay suggested replacing the ice maker first. The eBay vendor's reason was basically that they sell quite a few of these ice makers and rarely a motherboard.
    I know from your site and other on-line info that my motherboard version 2.10 could also be suspect.
    I just took the ice maker out to look at it... so I know how to replace it now. From what I can tell there isn't really a way to notice anything by just looking at it. It appears to be controlled eletronically via the motherboard.
    I press the test button, but nothing, no noise, no clicking.

Thanks for the update.

Rod )

(Next step is to order the Samsung part from you, you earned my business.... and I did try to do a search on your site to see if I could find any information on this issue before posting. Thanks again)

Replacing the water filter on a regular basis ensures that the ice maker is receiver good water pressure. Low water pressure is a common thing that causes failures on ice makers. Good luck with the ice maker repair, let us know how it turns out for you.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Ryan, As soon as I arrived back home I installed the ice maker you sent.

It was an easy process to remove and install.

The best part is that we now have ice again, which makes my wife extremely happy.

Thanks again for the quick shipment, help diagnosing the problem and giving me the option for the best price on the part.

Rod

PS. I will make sure I replace the water filter more often so as to not pre-maturely wear this ice maker out.

I am glad everything worked out for you Rod. Thanks for the feedback!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Doc Ryan,

I recently replaced my ice maker in my Pfss6pkxass, serial #LR551062. It’s still not working properly. It will work if I run test cycles. I’m guessing I need to replace the motherboard as noted here by you. My mother board is the older version 2.02. I cannot find a production date on my fridge but I know it’s from 2008 sometime.
    When I look up the motherboard on your website the part number is different than what’s indicated here. Which one do I get?
    The part I looked up is WR55X10856 but you are recommending the WR55X10763 here. Is this the latter the proper updated part? Or do I need to order the original? I don’t know for sure if my fridge falls in the time frame of this service bulletin. I’d hate to spend all that money on the wrong part.