Thread: GE French Door PFSS6 icemaker keeps jamming

GE French Door PFSS6 icemaker keeps jamming

Model Number: PFSS6PKXCSS
    Brand: GE

We keep finding solid blocks of ice in the bottom of the icemaker bucket as if the ice cubes have melted and refrozen. The dispenser then just jams when it tries to dispense either cubes or ice . If we clear out the ice blocks it works again for a while.

The fridge is set to the "recommended" temperature and the freezer is set slightly lower than "recommended"

The only thing I noticed wrong is that there is a big white plastic flap at the front of the bucket that is breaking off and not really at 45 degrees anymore. Not sure what it's supposed to do . Could that be causing the problem? Can just that part be replaced?
    Last edited by train_depot; 01-12-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Your model number is missing a digit between the "X" and the "S". Make sure you are reading the model number from the tag on the inside of the refrigerator.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

It's a C

I noticed this morning that the icemaker may be leaking into the bucket - there is a small icicle on the underside of the icemaker and all the frozen together cubes were right underneath it. What could cause that ?

You could either have a bad ice maker, control board (not very common), or a leaking water inlet valve. To determine if the water valve is leaking, I would remove the ice maker and remove all of the ice and moisture out of the ice maker compartment. Leave the ice maker uninstalled for 24 hours and see if any water leaks into the ice maker compartment with the ice maker uninstalled. The most common thing that causes this problem is the ice maker is not ejecting the ice and then it fill up with water again, and the water leaks and freezes into a big blob. Replacing the ice maker usually takes care of this problem. To make sure we get you the correct ice maker (we have seen GE's information not always be correct), I will need to have you read the part number off of the old ice maker. There is a blue stick on the bottom of the ice maker and it will have a number starting with DA97-XXXXXX.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

The number is 07365A

I noticed that immediately after dropping ice into the bucket that the icemaker was steadily dripping into the bucket from roughly where the blue label is. It had obviously been leaking before as well because there was a 3" icicle in the bucket. Is there a heater in the icemaker to free the cubes? Maybe when that heats up some melted ice is leaking?

Yes there is a mold heater on the bottom of the ice maker that heats up to release the ice. You could have a crack in the ice maker mold that is letting water leak out when it fills up with water or when it melts the ice to release the ice cubes. Let me know what you find.

This is the replacement ice maker for your refrigerator:

Ice Maker - Part # PD00001999 (mfg # DA97-07365G)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I took the entire icemaker apart and couldn't see anything wrong. So the only thing I can think of is that something is causing it to overfill slightly. What controls the fill level?

The ice maker, main control board, and water inlet valve all work together to fill up the ice maker with water.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I guess what I really meant to ask is what sensor is used to decide when to shut off the water?

I don't think there is a problem with the valve since it doesn't leak at all when the icemaker is off, and when it was on, there were no drips while the icemaker was freezing the cubes.

And I don't see how it can be the control board since everything seems to be basically working normally (unless there is some kind of electronic adjustment on the control board that is set wrong??)

So I suspect the sensor is going bad, because this problem has been steadily getting worse over the last few months.

I see a little thing like a tiny glass tube with wires coming out at the side of the ice mold. Is that the level sensor? It seems to have an odd look to it like it is contaminated inside. Do these go bad?

Most ice makers are a timed fill. When it is time to fill up with water, they fill up for X amount of seconds. GE has not published the details on this ice maker, so I do not know how long it is supposed to fill up with water for.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Seems like I was a bit impatient testing the mold for leaks. I set it up today to watch it and sure enough it steadily dripped. There must be a hairline crack that I can't see. I guess I'll have to order a new one.

Thanks for your help doc!

Great, I am glad you found the leak. Let me know how the new ice maker works after you get it installed.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Great, I am glad you found the leak. Let me know how the new ice maker works after you get it installed.
    Received the icemaker from you on Thursday and installed it in a couple of minutes. Has been working great ever since, no more solid ice blocks jamming up the mechanism

Thanks