Thread: GE Oven Latch Part Number Mystery

Question GE Oven Latch Part Number Mystery

Model Number: JGB918BEK4BB
    Brand: GE

I'm looking for a motorized door latch for my GE range and have run into a mystery involving the part number. The part number of the latch I need is WB02K10137 which is the latch on the left-> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Latches.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	133

But when I order it, I receive the latch on the right which also carries the part number WB02K10137. This latch does not fit my range. I have, through much web searching, found that the part number for the latch on the right is WB02K10136. If I do a web search for the latch using either part number, the latch on the right always comes up. I can't seem to find the latch on the left anywhere. So now I don't know if I ever had the correct part number. Does anyone know what the part number is for the latch on the left above or where I can find one? I've been searching for 3 months now and am getting exasperated.

Have you tried contacting GE about this issue?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I ordered the part from a third party because they were so much cheaper than buying it straight from GE, but when I received the incorrect part, I went to GE's parts website to look up the part number, and wouldn't you know it, there's no picture available for either part number so I can't tell which is which. They have a number to call, but then I'm having to try and describe what the part looks like to someone over the phone. I have sent them an email and I am waiting for a response. I will see if they will allow me to send them the pictures I have of the two switches. So a short answer to your question is, yes.

It kind of looks to me like GE might have something messed up in their system. I would continue to try to contact them about the wrong part issue, to see if they can find the problem. Let me know what you end up finding.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

GE has not yet replied to my email. I have found out from talking to a couple of appliance repairmen, that GE has replaced the latch on the left with the one on the right. Both part numbers refer the to same latch. The original is no longer available. GE's engineers may want to go back to the drawing board with this one because it doesn't fit my model of range. You can see from the pictures that they are not even remotely the same. The screw holes aren't even close, half the wiring terminals are on the opposite side, and the latch arm is misaligned with the hole in the door. In order to make this work, I'm going to have to do their job and re-engineer it myself by drilling new screw holes to reposition the latch (off-center) in order to make the arm line up correctly. But I guess GE saved a few cents on each unit by consolidating the latch and that's the most important thing, right? So long GE. If that's the best you can do for your customers, I'm sure your competitors would be willing to do better (maybe). Thank you for your time Doc Ryan, I guess it's case closed.
    Last edited by mdenbow; 02-05-2013 at 02:28 PM.

I wish I could help you more with your problem, but it looks to me like the error is on GE's end. It looks to me like they have substituted the original part with the wrong part, or they have been putting the wrong part in the box from the factory. That is why I think you should continue to try to contact GE about the issue so that can try to get to the bottom of it. I am sorry, but I don't think it is something I can help with on my end.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com