Thread: Washer won't fill/spins only

Washer won't fill/spins only

Model Number: early nineties
    Brand: Whirlpool

My washer is not filling. Last week the spin cycle was only cycle NOT working so I bypassed the lid switch, well
    now the only cycle that works is "spin." ????? To test other cycles, I put buckets of water into the washer
    and then agitate worked. Do you have any ideas? Thanks

Does it make a light humming noise like it is trying to fill? I will need to model number of the washer to look up more information for you.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Doc, there is no audible humming, but...

Doc Ryan thanks for responding! It is amazing actually. it seems that every technician i call doesn't want to even suggest what might be wrong $$$$. I don't hear any light humming once I engage the washing cycle. If I fill the machine tub with water it engages into cycle and goes through until it stops for rinse where upon i refill the the machine tub and it finishes all the way past spin. Do you think it could be the water valves/sensor on back? like i said I bypassed the lid switch. I can't find a whirlpool model number on the machine. I ordered a multimeter to test components. I think there may be a ghost in the house burnin' appliances one after another, because my dryer just went out today!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will need to check to see if there is voltage going to the water valve when the washer is supposed to be filling up with water. If there is approximately 120v going to the valve, and it is not filling with water, then you will need to replace the water valve. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

wow

Doc, you nailed it!!! there is 120 volts reading on multimeter when I touch the tips to the solenoids of water valve as the fill cycle is engaged.
    Soooo I am off to order a new water valve. You are awesome and I am grateful for you generous help. Blessings

Nice job on the diagnostic work! I am glad you found the problem! Below is a link to the "common" water valve that was used on a lot of those style washing machines.

Water Inlet Valve
    Ryan

PartsDr.com