Thread: Code HF on Whirlpool Duet Washer

Code HF on Whirlpool Duet Washer

Model Number: GHW9150PW
    Brand: Whirlpool

Whirlpool Duet GHW9150PW washing machine gets an HF code and stops. As background, it quit working a couple of weeks ago and I discovered that the reservoir in the pump was full, and I mean full. It had a comb, a key, several paper clips, a pair of (disintegrated) reading glasses, several bolts and screws, and 65 cents in change, among the identifiable stuff. I realize now how easy it is to clean that out and will do it regularly in the future.

It washed a few times after that and then began stopping and displaying the HF code, which I understand is from low water flow. I've run it through the diagnostics several times and everything checked out. As further information, I checked the water lines and they get good water flow. The screen for the hot water line was very full of sediment and I cleaned it out. Ran it through the diagnostics again with no problems and it worked a number of cycles again without a problem. Then the HF code again.

I checked the hose going to the pressure switch because I read someplace that that could be a problem and its in good shape. I'm thinking that the pressure switch could be the problem but before I buy it I'd like to get an opinion if that is likely or if it is something else. I could call a repairman but I'd rather not since I can do anything they could once I figure out what it is. *

Correction - Washer is actually 1-5

I incorrectly checked that the washer was less than 1 year old. It is actually about 3 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkorns View Post
    Brand: Brand

Brand: Whirlpool

Whirlpool Duet GHW9150PW washing machine gets an HF code and stops. As background, it quit working a couple of weeks ago and I discovered that the reservoir in the pump was full, and I mean full. It had a comb, a key, several paper clips, a pair of (disintegrated) reading glasses, several bolts and screws, and 65 cents in change, among the identifiable stuff. I realize now how easy it is to clean that out and will do it regularly in the future.

It washed a few times after that and then began stopping and displaying the HF code, which I understand is from low water flow. I've run it through the diagnostics several times and everything checked out. As further information, I checked the water lines and they get good water flow. The screen for the hot water line was very full of sediment and I cleaned it out. Ran it through the diagnostics again with no problems and it worked a number of cycles again without a problem. Then the HF code again.

I checked the hose going to the pressure switch because I read someplace that that could be a problem and its in good shape. I'm thinking that the pressure switch could be the problem but before I buy it I'd like to get an opinion if that is likely or if it is something else. I could call a repairman but I'd rather not since I can do anything they could once I figure out what it is. *

There are quite a few different things that can cause the F/H error code. See the below service information. Let me know what you find after you check some more things out.

No water detected entering machine or Pressure switch trip not detected.

If after 30 seconds the control does not detect water entering machine and then valves will be turned off and the error code will be displayed.

Or

If the control has turned the water valves on and after 8 minutes the flow meter has detected 10.5 gallons of water passing through it, but has not detected the pressure switch trip, the valves will be turned off and the error code will flash.

Press PAUSE/CANCEL twice to clear the display.

Potential Causes

• If there is no water in the unit:
    • Make sure that both valves at the water source(s) are turned on all the way.
    • Check for plugged or kinked inlet hoses or plugged screens in the inlet valves
    • Verify inlet valve operation
    • If there is water in the unit:
    • Verify Drain pump operation
    • Pressure Switch Hose is in good condition and properly connected to Tub and Pressure switch
    • Verify there is not a siphon problem
    • Verify wire harness connections to; Inlet Valves, Pressure Switch, Drain Pump, Flow Meter, and Central Control Unit (CCU)
    • Check all hoses for possible leaks
    • Verify pressure switch operation
    • Verify flow meter operation
    • Verify CCU operation
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I've been chasing a similar issue on my Whirpool Duet washer. Had water sitting in the drum after use. I changed the water inlet valve, and ran a load without issue. Water is flowing from both cold and hot lines and into the washer, so I thought I had repaired it. Unfortunately, there was some water in the drum again the next day. My next thought from the above troubleshooting list is the flowmeter and pressure switch. Before I purchase more parts, is there anything else I can check? I don't have a multimeter and am not sure how to verify there is no siphon issue. Perhaps I introduced air into the line when I replaced the inlet valve? The parts replacement are fairly cheap/easy, so I'd rather not call a repairman out; however, being down a washer is becoming an issue. Thanks in advance for the help!

Patient
    Are you really serious about what you found in the pump. You'll be saying nest there was a cat in there too?