Thread: [FIXED] Maytag dryer intermittent noise

[FIXED] Maytag dryer intermittent noise

Model Number: SDG3606AWQ
    Brand: Maytag

Hello, new to the forum.

My Maytag dryer has gotten quite noisy. I pulled off the lower front panel and watched the various moving parts as the noise came and went. Every time the noise started I could see the belt vibrate like crazy. I used a listening probe to see if I could isolate the noise but that didn't help much. So I ordered all the typical parts that are easy to replace. First the belt and tensioner pulley. Didn't fix it. I then found that if I set the heat setting to "fluff" (no heat) it would eventually quiet down. When I turned the heat back on it would start to get noisy again. I then ordered the drum rollers. I think I replaced them before but a long time ago. Installed the rollers and both my wife and I agreed it was now a lot quieter. But eventually, while running, the noise came back. Was not happy. So today I spent some more time with it as there were a couple of loads of wash to do. This time I managed to touch the probe on the motor frame when it got noisy, it was quite loud. But after having the front panel off for a while, it eventually got quiet while spinning the load of wash. By this time the wash was dry (weighed less). I then went upstairs to join this forum. In the mean time my wife put in the next load of clothes and towels. The noise started immediately and was steady, did not come and go. I then started to think it is the motor because now the wash is wet/heavier and causing more strain on the motor. Later I went down to check on it and it was quiet. And the noise did not come back at all. Well the wash was dry so again, it weighed less.

Bottom line is I'm pretty sure it's the motor now and being the DIY guy that I am, I would certainly consider replacing it. There's just one but... I just discovered this dryer is 19 years old. OMG I would have never guessed. But considering how simple these things are and pretty easy to fix, and it already has a bunch of new parts... well I gotta give it more thought.

The noise is like a quite loud humming, vibrating sound. Does not sound like grinding or metal on metal.

I like your price for the motor and would purchase from you if I go that route.

Thanks and any replies to my post are appreciated.
    Last edited by d75j19; 02-28-2024 at 04:15 PM.

Can you please list the part numbers that you have replaced so far? And, were they replaced with OEM Whirlpool parts or aftermarket?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I first replaced the belt and idler pulley with after market. WP40111201 & WP37001287. Was hoping for a quick fix but nothing changed. I thought (at the time) it was the idler WP37001287 and the replacement was poor quality and it made the same noise but that seemed a bit out there. Like what are the odds I got a bad one. The old belt seemed ok, no cracks and didn't seem stretched or anything.

Days later I replaced the drum rollers with OEM WP37001042. Wanted to make sure these were quality. Made the dryer noticeably quieter initially but once we got a load going the noise came back.

To describe the noise better (in addition to the original post) it turns on and off like someone is flipping a switch. When standing next to it while it's making the noise it will suddenly switch to perfectly quite while running. There's no gradual starting or stopping to the noise. Strange. And one more thing, the noise seems a little quieter than it was before I started replacing things. I mean it's still loud enough to hear upstairs but it seems a bit more subdued than it was originally.

Thank for the reply.

Although I don't think the idler pulley is the cuase of the problem, long term I would replace it with an OEM one to cover your bases. Those aftermarket belts and idler pulleys are junk from what I have experienced.

Have you inspected the drum roller axle shafts and the front drum glides to see if they are in good condition?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

I inspected the drum roller axles and the front drum guides.

The axles are very clean smooth and shiny. No rough spots or corrosion. I measured them with a digital calipers and they are both consistently .498.5" ~ .499". The holes in the wheels both old ones and new ones are consistently .501". Not sure what the specifications are for them but those dimensions seem reasonable.

The front drum guides have wear but are not completely worn out. There are actually 2 of them stacked up in each location. I'm guessing that's normal because I have never replaced them since new.

Thanks for your help.

A little more of an update. It takes a while to gather info when you gotta wait for more laundry loads LOL.

I spent some time with it Sunday during a load and probed all the places with moving/spinning parts with my stethoscope. All while the sound was repeatedly starting and stopping. It is definitely not coming from the rear support rollers or the belt tensioner pulley.

Today I looked at the motor. The loudest sound seems to be coming out of the front housing where the blower fan is. It is emanating through that area from the motor (petty sure). But no, pretty sure it is not the fan. There are no missing parts or cracks in the plastic fan and it is solid to the motor shaft. I also put a clamp meter on the power at the plug. When the dryer is spinning freely and warmed up and quiet, it draws around 5.7 to 5.8 amps. When the sound comes on it goes down a little to around 5.5 amps. Strange that it goes down but I'm no expert at these things.

If you have any other comments or advice I'd appreciate them.

Thank you for continuing to update me. I think the only moving part left in the dryer that could be causing the noise is the drive motor. Sometimes the bearings in the motor can fail and get noisy. If you continue to use it in this state, the bearings will eventually seize up and the motor won't start.

Just a heads up that sometimes when replacing the motor, the blower wheel will be difficult to remove or siezed in place. They also usually have reverse threads.

Let me know what you find.

Drive Motor - WP2200376 (PD00002624)

Blower Wheel - 56000 (PD00002776)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Thanks for that info. I know I removed the fan once before when I replaced the small pulley at the other end of the motor. The original pulley exploded apart so I replaced it with one that is machined out of steel. I do not remember it being any trouble. Just a little bit weird when you have to try to tighten the fan and pulley when they have opposing thread directions.

I will make a decision on purchasing a new motor soon.

Well like you said "sometimes the blower wheel will be difficult to remove or seized in place." It is. I've soaked the threads in WD40 repeatedly for hours and it will not budge. And now the plastic molded in hex rounded over when I really gave it the beans. I'm surprised I didn't break something else. And yes I was using a 6 point socket. So now I don't know how I'd get it off unless I somehow destroy it. Ugh. And then I'd need a new wheel which will cost another 50 or so dollars.

I'm seriously thinking about just replacing the darn thing with a new dryer. And return your motor. I should have tried all this before I ordered the motor but I was counting on getting the wheel off with little trouble.

Any suggestions for removing the blower wheel?
    Last edited by d75j19; 03-06-2024 at 02:02 PM.

Please read the above post first.

I went ahead and destroyed the plastic wheel and got it off the old motor shaft. Now I gotta decide on purchasing the new wheel. I swear yesterday this wheel was around $40 plus shipping and tax on your website. Now it's $63. More Ugh.

I have run into this exact same things many times. It is frustrating. I am sorry you ran into this issue.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Update...

I ordered your motor and found a blower wheel locally that I could get in a day. It's all back together now and running like new. Maybe it will go another 19 years LOL.

Thanks for your help and quick shipping on the motor.

You can mark this "FIXED" if you like.

Thank you for the update! I have updated this to FIXED. These are good dryers, they last a long time.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com