Thread: Installing refrigerator control board wr55x10942

Installing refrigerator control board wr55x10942

Model Number: Gbs22hcpbww
    Brand: GE

Installing main board on my GE refrigerator. I removed old board and am installing new board and there seems to be an "extra" three pin connector that does not fit on this board. Only available connectors are for four pins or more. I took a photo before removing old board and in photo looks like this connector might have just been tucked behind the board. Is this possible? I called GE and verified that this is the correct part for this model. I'm afraid to plug back in if not connected properly!
    Last edited by Moreenie; 10-25-2011 at 09:30 AM.

If it wasn't plugged into the old control board, then it won't need to be plugged into the new control board. I have seen some models where the have an extra connector back there that is not being used, so it is possible. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    If it wasn't plugged into the old control board, then it won't need to be plugged into the new control board. I have seen some models where the have an extra connector back there that is not being used, so it is possible. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Thanks i have Another question for you. In the instructions that came with the part, it says for bottom freezer models to cut wires. "Eliminate thermistor wire in pin 2 of J1 connector" this wire just looks like it goes into a round white cylinder. Two wires go in but only one come out the other end. Should I cut this wire?

It also says to "cut green wire in capacitor board. (bottom freezer models only.)" but when I remove the access cover, the green wire from the power cord looks like it's a ground wire. It is screwed into the bottom of the refrigerator, not into the power cord connector. Should this be cut? There is no plastic housing like in the direction illustrations. Does that mean I do not have a capacitor? And just skip this step.

Thanks, again for your expertise!

You will need to do what they say in the instructions if it applies to your model refrigerator. If you do not cut the white wire, the refrigerator will not cool down to the proper temperature. It sounds like you can skip the other step.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

I have a HSS22IFPAWW. It cools great but does not defrost. I defrosted the coils and installed control board wr55x10942. The refrigerator would not come on with the new board. The lights come on but neither the fan nor the compressor start. I re-installed the old control board and everything started running again. Any suggestions? This is the second control board I have tried as I thought the first one might be faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by copperworker View Post
    I have a HSS22IFPAWW. It cools great but does not defrost. I defrosted the coils and installed control board wr55x10942. The refrigerator would not come on with the new board. The lights come on but neither the fan nor the compressor start. I re-installed the old control board and everything started running again. Any suggestions? This is the second control board I have tried as I thought the first one might be faulty.
    I checked with your model number, and the WR55X10942 is the correct part number for your refrigerator. Like you said, if you have replaced the control board twice and they both have the same problem, then it is not likely a problem with the control board. Do you still have the instruction sheet for the control board that comes in the box? Check the serial number on your refrigerator to the list on the instruction sheet, or look in the link to our blog below to see if your model requires the thermistor wire to be cut to operate properly (I have seen some models that don't have the serial number listed that still need that wire cut).

http://blog.partsdr.com/how-to-insta...control-board/
    Ryan

PartsDr.com