Thread: Thermal Fuse Substitute?

Thermal Fuse Substitute?

Was wondering if anyone could give me some insight here.

I have a device that has a 110*C 5 amp Microtemp fuse opened in it. and can't seem to find a 5 amp equivalent in that temperature. But I do have a 109*C 15 amp on hand. Was wondering if I were to put a 5 amp pico fuse inline with this 109*C @15 amp. would that not have the same protection? I'd have the temperature and amperage covered, so should function the same. What do you think? It seems to me that it would, ,
    but just wanted to get some other opinions

Thanks, Sydwinder.

It sounds to me like your idea would probably work... but I am not an electrical engineer so I can't guarantee it. What kind of appliance is this for? Do they not sell the original part anymore? Obviously that would be the best idea. Also, did you find what was causing the fuse to blow in the first place?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    It sounds to me like your idea would probably work... but I am not an electrical engineer so I can't guarantee it. What kind of appliance is this for? Do they not sell the original part anymore? Obviously that would be the best idea. Also, did you find what was causing the fuse to blow in the first place?

Actually, this is not in an appliance, rather it's in a Fence Charger. No, the parts is not available as a part. requires complete module replacement. I know this wasn't the proper forum to ask, but saw a few folks post about thermal fuses or cutoffs. Was just wondering if anyone might have tried it to offset the price of a complete module. I think this would work and will probably attempt it.

Appreciate your reply though,
    Thanks, Jay

Patient
    MicroTemp thermal fuses are only designed to provide one time protection against high temperature. They are NOT designed to provide short circuit protection like a regular fuse. As such, there shouldn't be any problem substituting a 109C versus 110C temperature rated MicroTemp even though the maimum amp ratings are different ... provided that the substitute MicroTemp unit also has an amp rating equal to or higher than the original.
    Last edited by NewYorkTom; 07-09-2014 at 01:17 PM.