Thread: GE icemaker& water dispenser

GE icemaker& water dispenser

Model Number: PS123MGMA BB
    Brand: GE

Hello DR, newbee here, I have a GE Profile/ Artica side by side refrig that has had numerous problems over the last 11 years. I am trying to repair the ice maker and water dispenser, and have visited this site before to tackle these problems. I have a holding tank/ bladder, the one that keeps the water cold when you dispense for the water, with a split in it, an ice dispenser line that keeps freezing at the 90* fitting coming thru the back of the freezer for the ice dispenser, and the water dispenser that doesn't work, either. So, I changed the water filter, changed the ice maker water valve and tried to patch the holding reservoir. I have taken the ice maker apart soooo many times as it would work for a while but now I turned off the ice maker as the line in the freezer is frozen again and no water thru the door. I also tried to fish a wire up in the water dispenser line to see if it is frozen also, it goes about 24" in and stops. After reading numerous threads on your site its safe to say that GE ice water dispensers #$%%^^^^%% ! This was a high dollar machine in 2001, like $ 2700.00. My question is where do I continue to fix this thing ( my wife says enough is enough BUT I like a challenge) change the water valve, ice maker unit, remove door to see if line is frozen or ??? Thru process of elimination I would like to fix it, my thoughts are simplest solution first . Thanks in advance and keep up the good work.( I also HATE to pay a repairman!) DD

I definitely wouldn't give up on your refrigerator over these problems, they should be fixable. What part number did you replace for the ice maker water valve?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I installed part # WR57X10024 for the ice maker water valve.

The water to the ice maker will only freeze up if the water valve(s) are leaking. To fix this problem you will need to replace BOTH valves and then thaw out the line in the freezer. When the valves go bad they slowly leak water into the ice maker fill tube where it freezes up and causes it to stop working. If the ice maker hasn't been working for some time, it may also need to be replaced.

For the frozen water dispenser line, I would first try letting the freezer door thaw out. If the problem persists, you can try checking with GE to see if the Water Dispenser Tube Heater Kit (part# WR49X10173) will work with your refrigerator.

These are the parts for your refrigerator:

Water Valve and Bracket Kit - Part # PD00001187 (mfg # WR57X10026)

Ice Maker Assembly - Part # PD00000998 (mfg # WR30X10093)

Water Reservoir Tank - Part # PD00001449 (mfg # WR17X10734)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Thanks Ryan, I just ordered parts here and let you know how I make out.

Sounds good. Let me know how it goes, and if you have any questions along the way.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Hello Ryan, Thank You for all your help, 1st off I removed ice maker because I can remove in a flash as I had it off soooo many times and thawed out the frozen inlet in freezer. Turned off water and then removed the reservoir, pretty easy. Then removed water valve and assembled that. after unwrapping ice maker I noticed it wasn't the exact same model but the plug was the same but it didn't have the LED light. So I went ahead and put it in. Plugged in refrig and tried water dispenser after being off for 1 1/2 hrs and still no water, so I covered up freezer dept with insulation and taped the switch to run it. I pulled the hoses apart at bottom of door and water was at that point, so I ran a hair dryer around the dispenser area for 15 minutes. Took insulation off and water was at the dispenser. After installing ice maker and leaving it off, I let refrig run over night and turned ice dispenser on and ice cubes where in the bin after several cycles running, after 2 days it was full !!! Thanks again Ryan as I have water and ice cubes again !!!

Ryan, responded too soon, water dispenser does not work, must be frozen in the door again... IMHO I think that these very expensive refrig's were very poorly designed, if GE says that the heater will work on my model is it difficult to install ? Thanks again.

I am glad you fixed most everything! The water dispenser heater is pretty easy to install, you have to tap into a couple of wires for power. Another thing I would recommend trying is to let the door thaw out for a longer period of time. Sometimes they can get moisture built up inside the liner, and that could take some time to thaw out completely. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com