Thread: Maytag Dryer Shuts Off After Short Time But Will Restart Again

Maytag Dryer Shuts Off After Short Time But Will Restart Again

Model Number: MDE4658AYW
    Brand: Maytag

Dryer starts but shuts off after a short time, will restart but shuts off again, heats ok, have tried multiple settings with same results.

Does the dryer sound ok when its running, or do you hear any noises that don't sound normal? I would pull out the service sheet from behind the console and I believe it tells you how to check for codes in the computer. Do that and see if the computer has any stored codes. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Yes the dryer sounds ok, no strange noises. I've tried to get it into service mode and can't, some of the lights on the dial won't light. This started after a snow storm with multiple power outages. Thanks

It sounds to me like the power outages probably damaged the main control board. These control boards are sensitive to power surges. There is no way to test this except to rule out any other problems first. (I edited the title of this thread to help other people with the same problem find it).

This is the control board for your dryer:

Control Board - Part # PD00006878 (mfg# W10756689)

Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

My next question, is a 5 year old dryer worth putting $100.00 into, or is it time for other parts to start going bad ? Thanks for your help

In most cases it is usually worth fixing for that price. To buy a new comparable dryer would probably cost $450-$550. But how long they last can be affected by how much people use the dryer. I think the average life span of a dryer is about 12-14 years though.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com