Thread: Older Maytag washer emits burning rubber smell...?

Older Maytag washer emits burning rubber smell...?

Model Number: A506
    Brand: Maytag

Did a couple loads of laundry, started a third load, the washer ran fine and then stopped mid-cycle. The washer was giving off a burning rubber smell. It had stopped after draining so I just tipped the washer to look at the belts. The drive belt was really torn up, when I took the belt off a chunk of it was actually stuck on the transmission drive pulley (I think that's the name of the thing anyway) and now that I've looked at it more closely it seems as if part of it has melted. Also the pump belt seems to be in good condition but it was really loose and easy to pull off. Also, I played with stuff before I took the belts off and the pulleys turn freely (only when turned, they don't move after you stop). I know the drive belt has to be replaced because its trashed, but could there be other problems with the washer besides replacing the drive belt?

Check to see if the transmission is leaking any grease. Sometimes grease will leak off of the transmission and get onto the belts and pulley and cause problems. If everything else is rotating freely and there isn't any grease leaking then you should be fine to replace the belt(s).

These are the belts for your washer:

Pump Drive Belt - Part # PD00003102 (mfg # 211124)

Washer Drive Belt - Part # PD00002572 (mfg # 211125)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 211125.JPG  
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

On your maytag washer it seems like your tub bearings froze up and so when the unit goes into spin cycle it freezes uop and that is why the bel.t burnt up. The unit reverses the field when it comes to spin cycle otherwise it will wash with no problems dont buy your belt yet tilt washer and take both belts off take transmission pulley and rotate clock wise and then counterclock wise and you will find your answer