Thread: Refrigerator and freezer sections both suddenly quit cooling overnight.

Refrigerator and freezer sections both suddenly quit cooling overnight.

Model Number: GTS22QBMARWW
    Brand: GE

My evaporator fan started making erratic noises, often very loud, a couple of years ago. A repairman came out and put in a new evap fan but evidently put it in backwards (or so he said) as it started making noises again within a couple of weeks so he came back out and replaced it again (at no additional charge to me). It seemed to work fine for several months but then started making noises again but not nearly as often and not as loud so we have just been living with it since the repair was out of warranty. However, a couple of days ago both the refrigerator and freezer sections both totally quite cooling overnight. I found a procedure to test the main control board on my refrigerator on another post. I have 120VAC power at the input to the main control board but no DC power at the J2 connector on the board. Per that post this means I need to change the control board. One of the two fan resistors on the control board is burnt. That other post stated that if a resistor was burnt the fan must be replaced as the fan is likely what caused the control board to fail in the first place. The resistor that is not burnt is labeled R96 on the circuit board. However, I can't quite make out the label for the burnt resistor. It looks like it might be R95. How do I know which fan, evaporator or condenser, is controlled by which resistor so I know which fan corresponds to the burnt resistor, if in fact this other post is correct in that the fan also needs to be replaced?

Yes, from our experience if you are having a noisy evaporator fan motor where it is varying in speed (sometimes people say it sounds like it is making a whooing noise), you will need to replace both the main control board and evaporator fan motor to fix the problem. Most likely replacing the main control board will fix your problem. I do not have the information as to which resistor is for which fan motor. Let me know how the repair goes for you.

This is the control board for your model:

Main Control Board - WR55X10942
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter