Thread: Dryer heating coils are always on.

Question Dryer heating coils are always on.

Model Number: Wed6200sw1
    Brand: Whirlpool

The heating coils are always on. It doesn't matter what mode the settings are set to, even while set to air dry only mode. I think it's the control board because of that. I could of cooked an egg on the top of the dryer, it was HOT!

Any other thoughts before I spend a fortune to change the control board on a year and half old dryer?

First thing to check for is to see if the heating element is shorted out. To do this you would need to have the dryer unplugged and with a multi-meter you would need to check for continuity from either side of the heating element to ground (disconnect the wires going to the heating element before making this check. The heating element must be installed in the dryer to make this check.). If you have continuity when you go to ground then the element is shorted out and will need to be replaced. If the element has gone bad and shorted out after only 1.5 years then you definitely need to inspect the venting on the dryer to make sure that you don't have any restrictions in your vent. This will cause the element to have problems on the dryer. Check out the element, and let me know what you find. If the element is shorted out, the element will not shut off and is a serious fire hazard. So do not use the dryer until you fix the problem.

This is the heating element for your dryer:

Heating Element Assembly - 279838
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I checked the coils and no short. 9.7 ohms across the coils. Any other thoughts?

Yes, I believe the control board is probably the only thing left that could cause it to act that way. I would check the thermistors out too before you replace the control board, they give the control board the temperature readings. I found these schematics which I believe are the correct ones for your dryer. You should also find this schematic on the dryer somewhere. These are the parts for your dryer:

Control Board - W10111617

High Limit Thermostat - 8577891

Thermistor Control - 8577274
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

I had emailed whirlpool customer service about the lack of safety for the heat coils staying on and I received a phone call from customer service and they are sending a service tech free of charge. ???

Quote Originally Posted by Mprpgh View Post
    I had emailed whirlpool customer service about the lack of safety for the heat coils staying on and I received a phone call from customer service and they are sending a service tech free of charge. ???
    That's good, let us know what you find out.

They have two safety thermal fuses on the dryer that are designed to prevent the dryer from getting too hot (one on the blower housing and one on the heater box). It must not have tripped either of them yet, because when the thermal fuse blows the dryer either won't start or won't heat.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Thanks for the input, the service man came today and did en up being a shorted heating element but only when it was attached to the dryer. It seems that a spot on one coil was touching the frame when the coil assembly was screwed onto the dryer and I removed it to check for a short. Live and learn thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mprpgh View Post
    Thanks for the input, the service man came today and did en up being a shorted heating element but only when it was attached to the dryer. It seems that a spot on one coil was touching the frame when the coil assembly was screwed onto the dryer and I removed it to check for a short. Live and learn thanks for the help.
    Thanks for the feedback. I edited my above post to include leaving the element in the dryer to check for a short, so other people don't make the same mistake.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com