Thread: Samsung DA97-05422a IMC701 ice maker not working

Samsung DA97-05422a IMC701 ice maker not working

Model Number: rfg297aawp
    Brand: Samsung

Hello all

New to forum.
    I have a Samsung refrigerator side by side ice maker not working.
    I have read that this is not a good unit has a high and repeat fail rate.
    Is there a upgraded or better unit to install or tips to keep working?
    Its only 2.5 years old.

Thanks

I think I might have talked with you about this already? But I will reply to this in case anyone else with the same question finds this.

Your refrigerator uses the DA97-05422A ice maker (also has model imc701 written on the bottom). There are no aftermarket replacement ice makers for this icemaker. Most aftermarket appliance parts are usually lower quality than the OEM manufacturer anyways.

The first thing I would check is that you have adequate water pressure going to the refrigerator. This is what Samsung states in the owners manual: "In order for the ice maker to operate properly, a water pressure of 20~125 psi (pound per square inch) is required. Under normal conditions, a 170 cc (5.75 oz.) cup can be filled in 10 seconds." Not having enough water pressure can cause the ice cubes to be small and get caught in the ice maker and cause it to fail.

Some models manufactured March 2008 and earlier require a service kit to update the control board which caused problems with the ice maker. If your model was made after March 2008 then you should not have to worry about this.

This is the ice maker for your model refrigerator:

Ice Maker - DA97-05422A (IMC701)

This is the service kit for older models that require the main control board to be replaced (note that not all models use the same control board, so you can't just buy this kit and use the control board on all models):

Ice Maker Kit - DA81-01421A
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I have this problem, my fridge was made before Feb 2008. How hard is it to replace the board? I know how to take out the Ice Maker and put it back in.

The board is located on the back side of the refrigerator. Unplug the refrigerator, remove the control board cover, and swap the wires over to the new control board.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Ryan, I too have a Samsung ref that was built prior to 2008 with the same ice maker issue. If this is a known issue, and the replacement requires a new control board, why isn't there an free OEM kit? Am I missing something, or do you offer this type of solution? Seems to me that Samsung should pay for these replacement parts.
    Gil

Gil,

I have not heard of these being covered out of warranty. You will need to contact the manufacture regarding anything related to the warranty.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient

Unhappy

The connector for this icemaker has only 5 connectors not 6 like the one im replacing?? also the icemaker is 2 inchs shorter?? It is a imc701 ??? my model # is RFG297AARS??

I CAN RETURN THIS ICEMAKER AND ORDER 1 FROM YOU , BUT THE IMC701 DOESNT WORK? DID I RECIEVE THE WRONG ICEMAKER ?? MY MODEL # IS ALMOST THE SAME AS THE PERSON

ABOVE EXCEPT FOR THE LAST 2 DIGITS AND THEY HAVE TO DO WITH COLOR OF FRIDGE??
    Last edited by tonypol09; 04-12-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Your model RFG297AARS has two different model ice makers that were used in it, DA97-05422A (7 Cube) & DA97-07365A (9 cube). If you look on the blue sticker on the bottom of your old ice maker, it will have the part number DA97-XXXXXX. It sounds to me like yours might have the 9 cube ice maker in it?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I have part DA97-05422A that was manufactured 07/2008 and while others mentioned it had stopped working, mine only produces a small amount of ice now. The freezer temp is set to the recommended settings, the filter is only a couple of months old, and the water feed seems to be fine. Is there anything else that I should do before replacing the part? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KenCrane View Post
    I have part DA97-05422A that was manufactured 07/2008 and while others mentioned it had stopped working, mine only produces a small amount of ice now. The freezer temp is set to the recommended settings, the filter is only a couple of months old, and the water feed seems to be fine. Is there anything else that I should do before replacing the part? Thanks!
    It sounds like you have checked most of the important things. I would start by replacing the ice maker next.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com