Thread: GE side by side dispensing ice but not water

GE side by side dispensing ice but not water

Model Number: ps123sg mdbs
    Brand: GE

Hi! I have a GE side by side that dispenses ice but not water. I get water at the union at the bottom of the freezer door when I press dispense. A buddy said it's probably freezing inside the door. Anyone know what causes this and what to do about it? Thanks!!

-Tim

Tim,

I couldn't get your model number to pull up, could you double check it for me? Yes, it sounds like you have a frozen water line. You usually have leave the door open, and let it warm up until the tube thaws out. Make sure the freezer is set in the middle to 0 degrees, if it is set too cold it can cause the line to freeze. Also, when you let the door warm up, if there is any moisture frozen in the door insulation, that should allow it to melt too. GE makes a water tube heater kit, but I am not sure if it applies to your model. You might have to contact GE to see if they can tell you if the water tube heater kit is compatible or needed for your model. I believe certain models within a certain serial number range were affected.

Water Dispenser Tube Heater Kit - Part # PD00001237 (mfg # WR49X10173)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Tim,

I couldn't get your model number to pull up, could you double check it for me? Yes, it sounds like you have a frozen water line. You usually have leave the door open, and let it warm up until the tube thaws out. Make sure the freezer is set in the middle to 0 degrees, if it is set too cold it can cause the line to freeze. Also, when you let the door warm up, if there is any moisture frozen in the door insulation, that should allow it to melt too. GE makes a water tube heater kit, but I am not sure if it applies to your model. You might have to contact GE to see if they can tell you if the water tube heater kit is compatible or needed for your model. I believe certain models within a certain serial number range were affected.

Water Dispenser Tube Heater Kit - Part # PD00001237 (mfg # WR49X10173
    Thanks Doc,

My model number is PS123SG MDBS. I found some info online after I posted that discussed this issue. I had my freezer set at zero. I have since turned it up a few degrees to see what happens. Am I correct in thinking that I can't take the door apart to reinsulate it? Thanks for responding!!

-Tim

No, the doors are filled with foam from the factory, and there is no taking the door apart to reinsulate it. I would contact GE to see if your model/serial number is one of the models that needs the heater kit. I tried pulling up your model again, but I couldn't get it too pull up. I think the 1 might be an I, because I found a model similar to yours that way.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

You're right, it is an I. Sorry about that. I'll look into the heater kit. Or just use the faucet. Thanks for your help.