Thread: How to install control board 12868513

How to install control board 12868513

Model Number: GX5SHTXVB00
    Brand: Whirlpool

WHERE DO I GO ON THE FRIDGE TO INSTALL THIS PART? WHERE IS IT LOCATED? DO I HAVE TO REMOVE ANYTHING, SUCH AS A LIGHT?

That control board is located at the top front of the refrigerator section, where the digital readout is. First unplug the refrigerator, then to access the control board you have to remove the clear plastic light cover by pushing it towards the back of the refrig. Then on the back side you will see two clips that you need press in with a flat blade screwdriver and that will release the top to flip down and give you access to the control board. This is the hardest part.... after this everything is pretty much straight forward.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Re: How to install control board 12868513

Model Number: MBF2556KEW
    Brand: Maytag

I have to replace this same control board which has gone bad for the 2nd time in the past 15 months. I was not the one that replaced this previously. How exactly is this done on this model? Similar to the other instructions you gave?

Yes, all of these refrigerators come apart in the same process. If you have any questions please let us know. I verified that part number 12868513 is the correct control board for the model that you posted.

What kind of problem is your refrigerator having?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Yes, all of these refrigerators come apart in the process. If you have any questions please let us know. I verified that part number 12868513 is the correct control board for the model that you posted.

What kind of problem is your refrigerator having?
    The refrigerator is not getting any cold air because the freezer is completely iceing over. This happened about 15 months ago and I had a repair company look at it, and they replaced the control board.

I'm going to order that part, but I don't know exactly how to replace it. I have removed the plastic cover and now I have access to the lights, but I'm not sure how to get to the control board.

There are three components that control the defrost cycle on your refrigerator, the control board (12868513), defrost thermostat (67003426), and defrost heater (67002493). The control board and defrost thermostat are the most common to fail. I recommend replacing the defrost thermostat anytime you are having a defrost related problem.

Once the cover is removed, you have to press in these two tabs to flip down the housing that holds the control board.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com