Thread: Best dryer for poor venting in home?

Best dryer for poor venting in home?

Model Number:
    Brand: Brand

Model Number:
    Brand: Brand

Model Number: YWED75HEFW0
    Brand: Whirlpool

Would love some advice!

The venting in our home is awful. The builder must have put 10x the elbows necessary, because even after cleaning the ducts to the best of my ability, our dryer continues to stop heating due to a blown thermostat fuse.

Luckily it is under warranty, but after 5 repairs (3 in the last 5 months) to replace the thermostat fuse, my warranty company is now issuing me a credit and telling me to buy a new machine.

Assuming this venting problem is permanent, would there be any dryers out there that would be less sensitive to poor venting and able to continue heating despite my less-than-ideal situation? (Without starting a fire of course!)

Ideally under $1000 and available at a major appliance store. Not sure if I am hoping against hope! But I figured it was worth a shot to ask you guys first

If not, is the answer simply to use a lower heat setting on our future dryer?

Thanks in advance!

Doc
    I have never heard of a dryer that is designed for poor venting.
    There are non vented dryers out there but the moisture ends up in the house and they do not do a good job compared to vented units.

Why not just repair the venting.
    Even if you have to run a complete new vent system it should be less than a new dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    I have never heard of a dryer that is designed for poor venting.
    There are non vented dryers out there but the moisture ends up in the house and they do not do a good job compared to vented units.

Why not just repair the venting.
    Even if you have to run a complete new vent system it should be less than a new dryer.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately since we live on the 2nd floor of a three storey townhouse, the venting runs though the walls and ceiling of not only myself but our neighbors above (it is vented on the roof, probably 30 ft above the dryer). A new vent system would be prohibitively expensive I think

What about simply using a lower heat setting? Would that be enough to avoid blowing the thermostat fuse?

Doc
    I agree that redoing the vent through the roof would be expensive and may not even be possible.
    Also it may not solve the problem.
    So unless you can go out a side wall that option would be a no go.

Yes running at a lower heat setting would help and perhaps even solve the problem.

I cannot say for sure if using a lower heat will completely solve the problem

Venting through the roof is never a good idea but it sounds like there was no other choice.
    They are a pain to clean and even a bigger pain to unclog and they will clog.
    It is just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    I agree that redoing the vent through the roof would be expensive and may not even be possible.
    Also it may not solve the problem.
    So unless you can go out a side wall that option would be a no go.

Yes running at a lower heat setting would help and perhaps even solve the problem.

I cannot say for sure if using a lower heat will completely solve the problem

Venting through the roof is never a good idea but it sounds like there was no other choice.
    They are a pain to clean and even a bigger pain to unclog and they will clog.
    It is just a matter of time.
    That’s super helpful, thanks so much

Doc
    You are welcome.