Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Maytag french door refrigerator warm, freezer cold

  1. #1

    Maytag french door refrigerator warm, freezer cold

    Model Number: MF2558VEM
    Brand: Maytag
    Age: 1-5 years

    About 3 weeks ago we noticed the fridge was warm and the freezer fine. We emptied it and did a forced defrost. It worked for about a week. Did the same but unplugged it overnight. It worked for 2 weeks. I am trying the same again. Noticed a layer of frost on the back of the freezer and ice appears to be blocking the grills back there.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by woodhull123 View Post
    Model Number: MF2558VEM
    Brand: Maytag
    Age: 1-5 years

    About 3 weeks ago we noticed the fridge was warm and the freezer fine. We emptied it and did a forced defrost. It worked for about a week. Did the same but unplugged it overnight. It worked for 2 weeks. I am trying the same again. Noticed a layer of frost on the back of the freezer and ice appears to be blocking the grills back there.
    I had the wrong # it is MFF2558VEM.

  3. #3
    Admin/Technician Doc Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,586
    There is one or two more digits at the end of the model number that are missing. Do you have that? Make sure you get it from the tag inside of the refrigerator.
    Ryan

    PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories


    Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

    Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

    "Like" Parts Dr on Facebook


    Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    There is one or two more digits at the end of the model number that are missing. Do you have that? Make sure you get it from the tag inside of the refrigerator.
    I double checked that is all that is there. We purchased it from Home Depot about 4 years ago.

  5. #5
    Admin/Technician Doc Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,586
    Do you have an ohm meter or multi meter that you can use to check a couple of things for me?
    Ryan

    PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories


    Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

    Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

    "Like" Parts Dr on Facebook


    Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Do you have an ohm meter or multi meter that you can use to check a couple of things for me?
    yes my husband has one

  7. #7
    Admin/Technician Doc Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,586
    Make sure your refrigerator is unplugged before working on it. From the description of your problem it sounds like the refrigerator is not going through the automatic defrost cycle. There are three defrost components on your model, the defrost thermostat, control board, and defrost heater. Replacing the defrost thermostat and control board will take care of the problem 99% of the time on these models. The heater is not very common to fail on this model. You can test the heater by using an ohm meter to check it for continuity. The defrost thermostat is located behind the back panel in the freezer section, and it is clipped onto the evaporator coil on the top right side. You can test it by checking for continuity while the thermostat is cold (still covered in frost). You will need to remove everything from the freezer to access this. While the freezer is apart, make sure you fully defrost the evaporator coil. If both the defrost heater and defrost thermostat are good, then you have a bad control board. We recommend also replacing the defrost thermostat at the same time as the control board to ensure you don't have more problems down the road. Let me know what you find, and how the repair goes.

    These are the parts for your refrigerator:

    Control Board - PD00004512 (mfg# W10503278)


    Defrost Thermostat - PD00003442 (mfg# W10165425)
    Ryan

    PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories


    Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

    Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

    "Like" Parts Dr on Facebook


    Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Make sure your refrigerator is unplugged before working on it. From the description of your problem it sounds like the refrigerator is not going through the automatic defrost cycle. There are three defrost components on your model, the defrost thermostat, control board, and defrost heater. Replacing the defrost thermostat and control board will take care of the problem 99% of the time on these models. The heater is not very common to fail on this model. You can test the heater by using an ohm meter to check it for continuity. The defrost thermostat is located behind the back panel in the freezer section, and it is clipped onto the evaporator coil on the top right side. You can test it by checking for continuity while the thermostat is cold (still covered in frost). You will need to remove everything from the freezer to access this. While the freezer is apart, make sure you fully defrost the evaporator coil. If both the defrost heater and defrost thermostat are good, then you have a bad control board. We recommend also replacing the defrost thermostat at the same time as the control board to ensure you don't have more problems down the road. Let me know what you find, and how the repair goes.

    These are the parts for your refrigerator:

    Control Board - PD00004512 (mfg# W10503278)


    Defrost Thermostat - PD00003442 (mfg# W10165425)

    Do you know how to get the top freezer draw roller out. We got the draw off but the roller and rear bar we were not able to get off.

  9. #9
    Admin/Technician Doc Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,586
    Usually on those you can pull the drawer out, and then remove one philips screw from the left and right hinges. This will let you lift the drawer off of the hinges.
    Ryan

    PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories


    Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

    Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

    "Like" Parts Dr on Facebook


    Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

  10. #10
    I have a similar model: MFF2258VEB2 SN# KY4360693
    Noticed yesturday fridge not cold and freezer is fine...I unplugged for just 15 minutes and put ice tray in fridge....this has not helped ......please is there a do it your-self cheap way to fix this issue

  11. #11
    Admin/Technician Doc Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,586
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanniesbottle View Post
    I have a similar model: MFF2258VEB2 SN# KY4360693
    Noticed yesturday fridge not cold and freezer is fine...I unplugged for just 15 minutes and put ice tray in fridge....this has not helped ......please is there a do it your-self cheap way to fix this issue
    You will have to diagnose to see what part(s) are bad and what is causing the problem. There is not a cheap fix that will magically fix your problem.
    Ryan

    PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories


    Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

    Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

    "Like" Parts Dr on Facebook


    Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

  12. #12
    I have a Maytag French Door model no. MFD2560HES and it is doing the freezer cold/ refrigerator warm thing that is being discussed on this thread. My model number is different than any listed here so I was wondering if the thermostat and control board are both inside the freezer on the back wall as well.

    I have the back of the freezer section removed and the thermostat exposed and I was wondering how I test to see if it's that part that needs to be replaced and the same question for the control board, how do I test that?
    Last edited by maycreations; 05-01-2014 at 11:27 AM.

  13. #13
    Admin/Technician Doc Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,586
    Quote Originally Posted by maycreations View Post
    I have a Maytag French Door model no. MFD2560HES and it is doing the freezer cold/ refrigerator warm thing that is being discussed on this thread. My model number is different than any listed here so I was wondering if the thermostat and control board are both inside the freezer on the back wall as well.

    I have the back of the freezer section removed and the thermostat exposed and I was wondering how I test to see if it's that part that needs to be replaced and the same question for the control board, how do I test that?
    The control board is at the top front of the refrigerator, and the defrost thermostat is located behind the back panel in the freezer section, and it is clipped onto the evaporator coil on the top right side. You can test it by unplugging the refrigerator, disconnecting the wires to thermostat, and checking for continuity while the thermostat is cold (still covered in frost).
    Ryan

    PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories


    Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

    Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

    "Like" Parts Dr on Facebook


    Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

  14. #14
    I have a maytag French as well model MFD2561HES. Am I correct to assume that with like symptoms, issue is the same between models?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Coleman View Post
    I have a maytag French as well model MFD2561HES. Am I correct to assume that with like symptoms, issue is the same between models?
    Additionally when looking up parts the control board shown is long and skinny and the only one given. Is this "the" control board referred to above?

  16. #16
    I also have a Maytag French Door with bottom drawer freezer - Model MFI265XEM7. The refrigerator is Warm - about 50-55 degrees, and Freezer is working fine - near 0 degrees.
    What is the correct part numbers for Defrost Control Board and the Defrost Thermostat?

Similar Threads

  1. Maytag French Door Bottom Freezer
    By teddy 7656 in forum Refrigerator or Freezer Repair
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM
  2. [FIXED] Maytag - Freezer cold refrigerator isn't
    By Cray in forum Refrigerator or Freezer Repair
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 11:30 AM
  3. Whirlpool freezer cold, fridge warm
    By Joe Fish in forum Refrigerator or Freezer Repair
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 12:26 PM
  4. Maytag MFF2258VEM0 - Fridge is not cold, freezer is cold
    By dontrieu in forum Refrigerator or Freezer Repair
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 10:55 PM
  5. Maytag French Door Refrigerator Freezer OK Fridge Not Cooling
    By fullthrot in forum Refrigerator or Freezer Repair
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 10:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •