Thread: water puddles outside freezer, frozen ice at bottom inside freezer

water puddles outside freezer, frozen ice at bottom inside freezer

Model Number: #TFX20RFC (probably)
    Brand: GE

hi, i have a late 1980's ge side by side fridge. lately there have been water puddles outside the freezer, and inside it there is ice frozen at the bottom (clinging to a towel i keep having to place there). i checked the drain plug, and even the drain tube itself (via the rear), and its not just clear (blowing through it required a slight effort but still it allowed air), it is dry. the pan under the fridge has a tiny bit of water, but not nearly in the amount that equals all the ice inside the freezer. its very odd that the water thats reaching the hole isnt draining through it and is instead pooling at the bottom of freezer. then again, there is a small dam there near the drain hole (also always frozen with a 2 inch rectangle of water), and its possible the hole is freezing over before it can allow the water to drain... note: this is a recent issue, coinciding roughly with the start of the hot days of summer (my house doesnt cool well so its relatively warm).

separately, aside from the drain not draining, i am wondering if the defrost cycle is staying on the defrost side too long, and should i replace the defrost timer (WR9X482)? or could it be the defrost thermostat (already ordered one - WR50X55)? should i be replacing both (or none)? any advice or insight would be much appreciated - thanks!

ps - i do not have a volt meter and am not a trained repairman/technician.

It sounds like the defrost drain hose might be clogged. You should be able to pour water down that drain and it should freely flow into the pan underneath the refrigerator. If it does not, then you will need to remove the hose and see it you can clean it out. Make sure to unplug the refrigerator before working on it.

The defrost timer and defrost thermostat both control the length of the defrost cycle. If you think there is a problem with the defrost cycle staying on too long, I would recommend to replace both parts.

These are the parts for your model:

Defrost Timer - WR9X482

Defrost Thermostat Kit - WR50X55
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter