Thread: Kenmore Elite washing machine

Kenmore Elite washing machine

Model Number: 110.28042701
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Model 110.28042701 When a cycle is started it does the soak portion of the cycle, goes to wash as it fills the tub and then skips to spin, drains the tub and says OL. I have taken the inner drum out and cleaned the bearings of the very little rust that was present, put it together and have the same result. Can someone please advise me of what else I can do?

Almost forgot, I started a self test on it and on the first test (C1) it fills with water and ends the test with OL. I have to turn it off and back on selecting drain and spin to get the water out.

I’m going to post this so everyone else that has this issue may fix it. I read several other articles and they all pointed to the bearings going out except mine did not sound like a jet engine. Before buying any parts try these steps to fix your washer for the low cost of your time. My washer is with the tower agitator.

1. Pull cap off agitator, it pulls off with minimal force.
    2. Pull round cap that is inserted about 4 inches down in the agitator. This has a rubber O ring on the edge and may take more effort.
    3. With about 12" of extension and socket, loosen the retaining bolt that hold tower to the base. Do not flip it upside down, bolt and spring will fall out.
    4. When bolt is all the way out, lift agitator tower. There will be a plastic cap with about 6 or 7 phillips screws, remove them screws and lift plastic pieces off drive shaft.
    5. Now your inner tube should be free to be lifted up. This is where the tub slides up and down the drive shaft when it fills and drains with water. If it slides on the shaft easily then corrosion is not your issue (this can be checked before taking anything apart also), if it does not then corrosion is the issue like it was for me.
    6. If tub does not slide up and out of the machine, soak the base around the bearing with WD40 and wait about five minutes. Grab the splined shaft with vice grips with minimal pressure to prevent it from turning while someone spins and lifts the inner drum up and out of the machine. This will expose the drive shaft and corrosion.
    7. Clean the corrosion with a light sand paper by wrapping it around the shaft and spinning it. Continue to do this until the corrosion is either gone or the drum is able to slide easily on the shaft.
    8. Reinstall all parts in reverse order.

I’m not sure if there are any torque values for any of these parts, I did not go looking for any. I wrote this from memory at work so hopefully I did not accidentally miss anything. Hope this helps because it sure did save me some $$.