Thread: Frigidaire dryer rumbling and shaking

Frigidaire dryer rumbling and shaking

Model Number: flsg72gcs9
    Brand: Frigidaire

Frigidaire model flsg72gcs9.

The dryer would not start so I took the front panel off and saw that the drum glide felts were damaged and coming loose. I replaced the top and bottom felts. I stretched the bottom felt too much when installing and snipped off about a 1/4 extra. After reinstalling, the dry went for about 15 minutes before a low rumbling could be heard which got louder as it went on.

I took the machine apart and noticed the pulley wheel had a crack so I ordered a new one along with a new belt. Replaced them and got the same result. (the belt leaves shaving or rubber dust underneath the pulley)

I ordered a new drum bearing even though the old one looked good and replaced it. Same result.

At this point the motor would not turn without assistance so I thought it was bad bearings and installed a new motor (and blower housing it comes with). Same rumbling, maybe even worse.

I noticed when I pushed on the back of the dryer the rumbling would stop and noticed on one of the corners it was missing a screw. I had to drill through the hole to get to where it secures the intake to the back round plate. Still continued to rumble.

The rumbling did not start until after I installed the new felts. They have had to be replaced a few times over the years. The left side of the felt has rubbing marks because the drum leans to one side creating a gap on one side and rubbing against the other. But I think it has always done this. I have leveled the dryer but the drum still leans that way.

Whenever I reinstall the drum it runs fine for 15 min to 45 min

The only thing I have not replaced is the blower fan but the dryer runs fine with the belt off and starts rumbling as soon as I put the belt back on.

Any ideas?

Link to noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBEpPDqO...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Starr View Post
    Model Number: flsg72gcs9
    Brand: Frigidaire

Frigidaire model flsg72gcs9.

The dryer would not start so I took the front panel off and saw that the drum glide felts were damaged and coming loose. I replaced the top and bottom felts. I stretched the bottom felt too much when installing and snipped off about a 1/4 extra. After reinstalling, the dry went for about 15 minutes before a low rumbling could be heard which got louder as it went on.

I took the machine apart and noticed the pulley wheel had a crack so I ordered a new one along with a new belt. Replaced them and got the same result. (the belt leaves shaving or rubber dust underneath the pulley)

I ordered a new drum bearing even though the old one looked good and replaced it. Same result.

At this point the motor would not turn without assistance so I thought it was bad bearings and installed a new motor (and blower housing it comes with). Same rumbling, maybe even worse.

I noticed when I pushed on the back of the dryer the rumbling would stop and noticed on one of the corners it was missing a screw. I had to drill through the hole to get to where it secures the intake to the back round plate. Still continued to rumble.

The rumbling did not start until after I installed the new felts. They have had to be replaced a few times over the years. The left side of the felt has rubbing marks because the drum leans to one side creating a gap on one side and rubbing against the other. But I think it has always done this. I have leveled the dryer but the drum still leans that way.

Whenever I reinstall the drum it runs fine for 15 min to 45 min

The only thing I have not replaced is the blower fan but the dryer runs fine with the belt off and starts rumbling as soon as I put the belt back on.

Any ideas?

Link to noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBEpPDqO...

Hey, Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am having a similar issue and was wondering if you ever solved this?

I replaced my upper felt guide that was completely worn and now after about 10 mins of running the drum will start rumbling extremely loudly for small bursts every 10 seconds or so. I have since replaced the main drive bearing, the lower felt guide, and the belt. It has made no difference.