Thread: Ice Maker Not Getting Cold Enough

Ice Maker Not Getting Cold Enough

Model Number: PVD28BYNES
    Brand: GE

GE Profile

Greetings,

The repair man said I needed an entire new ice maker (which is on 6 month back order), but I discovered the ice maker was simply not getting cold enough. The water line is working fine. It gets down to only 40 degrees F and the water never freezes.

After reading these forums, I tried buying a new control board, but the freezer fan to the ice compartment still wasn't working. I then bought a new fan and installed it yesterday, and it is also not working. I'm afraid the original fan shorted the original control board, then shorted the new control board I installed, and now the new fan is working off of a shorted control board so it won't run either. I've started a loop of failure.

Before I spend another $100 for a second (or third, I guess) control board, I wondered if you smart folks would agree that is what I should try. I am not good with measuring voltage but I could learn. I could also try defrosting the fridge to see if the vent to the ice maker is frosted, but I've been reluctant given the wife's reaction to that idea.

Incidentally, all of this happened literally one day after the warranty expired.

Open to any ideas. Thanks in advance!

Sleepy

Well, I suppose I will just buy a new control board and hope it works. I assume the fan can only run when the door is closed. I tried testing the fan by covering the freezer sensor to simulate the door closing, but I couldn't find the sensor. I thought I found it, but covering it doesn't turn off the freezer light. I'm pretty bad at this.

If the new control board works, it would mean the first fan went bad and burned out the fan component of the control board, then I bought a new control board. The bad fan then burned out the new control board as well. Then I bought a new fan, and the second control board was burned out so this fan didn't work. If I buy a new control board, it should work. I'm not sure how far-fetched this would be, but it feels like it.

But I can't think of another solution. I hate dropping more money on this without any confidence, but the repair guy was so wrong with saying it needed a fully new ice machine when it is the temp in the ice maker that's broken. So frustrating, and the family is displeased with me.

This didn't work. The fan appears to not work, and I can't figure out why. Guess I will be calling a service person.

I thought I would leave this thread (or solo conversation if you want to call it) as a cautionary tale to anyone who has a similar problem. It turns out the ice maker was busted and so was not communicating to the fan to turn on. Since I didn't understand that aspect, I wasted hundreds of dollars on boards and fans when it's the ice maker than needs replacing.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

I just posted a thread about ordering a new ice maker, but was concerned that the ice compartment was not very cold, if at all... so based on your last reply, you are saying that is normal if the ice maker is not working correctly? mine is a GE model pvd28bynbfs French door only 14 months old.

That was my experience. The ice maker was not getting cold because a part in the ice maker was broken which caused it to not communicate with the board; the board was then not turning on the fan in the freezer that would cool the ice maker.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWakes View Post
    That was my experience. The ice maker was not getting cold because a part in the ice maker was broken which caused it to not communicate with the board; the board was then not turning on the fan in the freezer that would cool the ice maker.
    I put the new ice maker in today, and about 1 hour and 50 minutes it plopped out some ice cubes! the SmartHQ app I have for it, had said Ice Status FULL before the new ice maker was put in....after, it still said full, and I thought uh oh... I opened up the ice maker door and just toggled the plastic bar that moves when it is full a few times, closed it back up and it changed to not full. SO, all good!

Thank you to SleepyWakes! I hope his thread and my experience helps you all out. It seems that Parts Dr. is no longer responding to messages anymore here in this forum.