Thread: Maytag Atlantis Dryer Not Heating (extensive troubleshooting)

Question Maytag Atlantis Dryer Not Heating (extensive troubleshooting)

Model Number: MDE7657AYW
    Brand: Maytag

Model Number: MDE7657AYW
    Brand: Maytag

Howdy,

I have a Maytag Atlantis electric clothes dryer (MDE7657AYW) that runs but is not heating. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, as I have performed extensive troubleshooting and am left scratching my head:

Checked lint trap, internal exhaust cavity, hose, and outdoor vent: all clean and relatively lint free.

With the dryer plugged into 240v:

Used multimeter to check L1 to N - 120v
    Used multimeter to check L2 to N - 120v
    Used multimeter to check L1 to L2 - 240v

With the dryer unplugged:

1) Disconnected leads from heating element and checked continuity from left terminal to right terminal - have continuity
    2) Checked resistance across heating element terminals - 10.8 ohms
    3) Check left terminal to housing and right terminal to housing - not shorted
    4) Removed leads from high limit thermostat and checked continuity at room temperature - have continuity
    5) Removed leads from thermal fuse on heating element housing and checked continuity - have continuity
    6) Removed purple and red leads from cycling thermostat on blower housing and checked continuity - have continuity
    7) Removed leads from thermal fuse on blower housing and checked continuity - have continuity
    8) Removed molded plug from motor and checked continuity between left terminal and right terminal while actuating centrifugal switch - have continuity when actuated

9) Attached multimeter alligator clips to left heating element terminal and element housing, plugged in dryer and started timed dry cycle - 120v
    10) Unplugged, attached alligator clips to right heating element terminal and element housing, plugged in dryer and started timed dry cycle - 120v

11) Unplugged dryer and stared into space for at least an hour contemplating the meaning of life.

I'm at a complete loss. You would think that with the heating element checking out (continuity, 10.8 ohms, not shorted) and 120v at the heating element terminals that the heating circuit is functioning as expected...but yet, no heat.

Hopefully someone can point me in the direction of what I am missing? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

-Sam
    Last edited by Offroad; 11-15-2021 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Updated with vent inspection