Thread: Whirlpool Duet Electric Dryer keeps blowing fuse

Whirlpool Duet Electric Dryer keeps blowing fuse

Model Number: GEW9250PL0
    Brand: Whirlpool

Our Whirlpool Duet dryer keeps blowing the cutoff fuse that’s attached to the heating element. I’ve replaced just about every fuse and even the heating element but it just stopped working again. I’ve replaced the cutoff fuse probably 5 or 6 times and it is still happening. Can’t figure out why. Originally I was buying cutoffs that were too low. The original fuse was 352 degrees cutoff and I had bought a couple that were 325 not realizing. However, I’ve since replaced the heating element (for the second time) and put a cutoff with the correct 352 degrees. It worked for a few days then stopped so I replaced the fuse again and it worked for a month or two and suddenly stopped again tonight. I can’t figure it out. It’s always the cutoff fuse at the back of the heating element housing.

Really don’t want to spend the money on a new set but I am tired of replacing the same part. I have cleaned it as best I know how and like I said, I’ve replaced almost all the fuses, thermistor, heating element, even some wires that had burned. This last time I fixed it, we have been running it only on low heat and that seems to have helped but it still blew tonight. Any help is appreciated.

Edited to add that one of the last times I fixed it, I tested the Air only and it was not heating in Air Only mode so it seems like the control board is fine. Is there a special place I need to clean? Am I putting the heating element housing back on wrong? I just don’t know what else could be fixed. Also not sure on the age, as it is my wife’s she had for a while.
    Last edited by Snead21; 05-05-2022 at 10:35 PM.

The control board is common to cause this, but by running it on air only it seems like you have ruled that out. Sometimes the control board can act up intermittently, so make sure to test this out multiple times in case it isn't doing it ever time. Try running the dryer with heat, then air only, and then heat again, then air only.

The next thing to check would be for any lint buildup in the dryer and for any blockages in the exhaust venting going out of the house.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter