Thread: GE Profile 'Start' button not working

GE Profile 'Start' button not working

Model Number: PDT855SSJ0SS
    Brand: GE

Hello - first time posting here. I'm just a homeowner trying to avoid extra costs.

I have a dishwasher that I bought used several years ago. It has always worked fine, but the 'Start' button has never functioned for me the way it should. I usually have to press it pretty hard to get it to register. A few days ago, the 'Start' button stopped registering my presses altogether. My very uneducated guess is that it's the UI that needs to be replaced, but I can't be sure. I've looked at parts diagrams for the dishwasher and can't really figure it out.

Can someone give me an idea on where to start for troubleshooting?

Thanks,
    Brian

Does the start button still feel like the button is being pressed when you press it? This is usually caused by either a failure of the button on the user interface control board or something broken on the control panel/start button. Let us know what you find.

These are the parts for your model dishwasher:

Control Panel & Button Kit - WD34X24296

User Control and Display Board
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Does the start button still feel like the button is being pressed when you press it? This is usually caused by either a failure of the button on the user interface control board or something broken on the control panel/start button. Let us know what you find.

These are the parts for your model dishwasher:

Control Panel & Button Kit - WD34X24296

User Control and Display Board
    That is exactly it - it does not feel like a button now - like it's permanently pressed. You think that points to the above part needing replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by bsavitch View Post
    That is exactly it - it does not feel like a button now - like it's permanently pressed. You think that points to the above part needing replacement?
    I think next you would next to take the dishwasher apart to do a visual inspection to see if you can see anything broken.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I think next you would next to take the dishwasher apart to do a visual inspection to see if you can see anything broken.
    Thanks for that. I pulled the control panel assembly out and the start button just fell off. I could still press the button on the interface board, so I reinstalled it without the start button and it's working. I put tape over the hole so water doesn't get in from the counter. I had a backup of dirty dishes and couldn't wait for a new part to run it a few times.

Seems like I just need the light panel with buttons. That sound right?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bsavitch View Post
    Thanks for that. I pulled the control panel assembly out and the start button just fell off. I could still press the button on the interface board, so I reinstalled it without the start button and it's working. I put tape over the hole so water doesn't get in from the counter. I had a backup of dirty dishes and couldn't wait for a new part to run it a few times.

Seems like I just need the light panel with buttons. That sound right?

Brian
    Great to hear! Yes, that is what is sounds like to me.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com