Thread: Ice Maker Not working - Whirlpool

Ice Maker Not working - Whirlpool

Model Number:
    Brand: Brand

Model Number: WRX988SIBM01
    Brand: Brand

Hello,

I own a Whirlpool WRX988SIBM01 fridge. After calling in a few service technicians and becoming frustrated with them just telling me I need to replace a bunch of parts totaling well over $1,000. They suggested I need a new ice maker assembly, fan for ice box, Electrical Control Board and a thermistor. This fridge was never hooked up to water before until 3 weeks ago so I found it very hard to believe that all of these parts just went bad. So I started to trouble shoot a bit on my own.

I noticed that this area located inside the fridge which houses the ice maker is freezing up (see red area on the picture). Once I held a blow dryer to it for 15 or so minutes and then closed the door, ice began to fall just fine. Then after about half way filled, it stops again. The lights on the LED screen are very dim and difficult to make out but if I turn the lights off in the kitchen I can start to make them out. I set the freezer temp higher and then placed a sensor in the freezer to test the temp. Sure enough the freezer is way too cold. Even after being set on the front display to 1 or 2 degrees the sensor is showing -5 to -6. What could be causing the freezer to keep getting colder and colder? Would it just be a bad thermistor? The water is working just fine, pressure is ok. Seems like something simple especially for a fridge who just had water hooked up to it 3 weeks ago. I am hoping to avoid this $1,000 + service fee to fix the ice maker.

Thank you all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6945.jpg  

Any thoughts for the forum?