Thread: Dacor Electric Oven Issue

Dacor Electric Oven Issue

Model Number: DO130
    Brand: Other

Greetings and Happy Holiday's!

On Thanksgiving day (of course), while heating something in the oven at 350 degrees, there was a loud pop and flash in the oven compartment that tripped the breaker. I reset the breaker, turned the oven back on, and was met with the same pop and flash, clearly the sound of something arcing/shorting electrically.

The consensus seemed to be that the broiler element failed, given the symptoms. I removed the broiler element, and while apart, also removed the convection element to do a resistance test on them. The broiler element measured 17 ohms, and the convection element 24 ohms. A bit of research indicated that the elements should be in the 20-50 ohm range, so I figured I found the culprit. While apart, I decided to replace both elements. Fast forward to today, and the new elements arrived, so I tested their resistance. To my surprise, the broiler element measured the same 17 ohms, and the convection element the same 24 ohms.

For curiosity sake, I turned the breaker back on, and turned on the oven without the broiler and convection elements connected. I did not get the pop and spark as before, so now I'm a bit puzzled. Given that the electrical sparking was inside the oven compartment, I have to assume the issue lies within. Is it possible that the broiler element is still the culprit, even though I see nothing physically wrong with it, and it measures the same as the new element?

Thanks a bunch!

****EDIT****

Tested the element brackets, and there's 0 resistance, so it doesn't seem to be a short between the element and mounting brackets.
    Last edited by Seadweller; 11-29-2022 at 01:10 PM.