Thread: Hard starting -- only the first time each day!

Hard starting -- only the first time each day!

Model Number: DGF
    Brand: Frigidaire

The first time I use my dryer on any given day, it's hard to start.

It runs, and the drum turns, but usually it stops when I release the start button. If I hold the start button down a long time (10 seconds?), it stops without me releasing the button, and then won't work until it cools a little.

In either case, if I wait a few minutes and try again, it starts easily. And if I do another load later in the day, there's no problem at all -- usually the run winding kicks in within a couple of seconds. You can tell right away by the sound.

Any idea what that could be? It's really just an annoyance, but I'd be willing to replace a part, if I can find one, especially if it's a sign that the dryer might stop working completely, or if it indicates a safety problem. I've worked on other appliances before, but never on a dryer.
    Last edited by AnthonyA; 09-25-2023 at 12:22 PM.

Do you have the model number of the dryer? https://partsdr.com/model-number-locator/dryer
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks for the reply, Doc Ryan. Following the instructions on your web site, I found a model number tag on the door. A photo is attached. It looks like model DGF-W-0, and serial number 80DL3899, by Frigidaire Co., Columbus, OH, one of the White Consolidated Industries. And maybe a date -- 11-88. Can it be that old and still working?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dryer model tag.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	1296

That is definitely the correct age. My guess would be either the start switch or motor is failing. Both parts are discontinued for this model.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Thanks again. But wouldn't the switch be just a single-pole push-button momentary-contact switch, rated for the current draw and voltage of a dryer motor's start winding? The outlet the dryer is plugged into is controlled by a 20 amp 120 volt circuit breaker in my electrical panel.

Do you sell a switch that would meet those electrical specs? I'm sure I can figure out a way to safely mount any push-button momentary switch onto my dryer's control panel, and to safely connect the two leads to any SPST switch.

I don't have a wiring schematic for your model so I can't tell exactly how this one is wired. Appliance parts are all sold specific to the model number, they don't sell any parts based upon the electrical rating.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com