Thread: GE PFE29PSDASS Temperature Control Issues

GE PFE29PSDASS Temperature Control Issues

Model Number: PFE29PSDASS
    Brand: GE

I have a somewhat perplexing issue, at least for a novice like myself, when it comes to repairing my refrigerator.

Symptom: Refrigerator Temp hovers around 45-50f Freezer -12 when set at 37 and 0 respectively. The food in the FF meat pan assembly is also much colder than it should be I am not sure exactly on the temperature but the food inside has been freezing.

I had removed the FF Evap assembly cover a few weeks ago, and it was pretty frozen over. After letting it thaw, it worked normally for about two to three weeks, and now I have the issue recurring.

One oddity I have notices is when running through the Service Diagnostic Mode tests Test 26/27/28 which are the FF/FZ thermistor tests and the FF Cabinet thermistor test the readings come back at 630-645 deg F While the issue is persisting. I did notice that after I had thawed everything out the last time that those readings were no longer erroneous like that.

Any help or guidance on where to look or what step to take next would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Shawn

Updated information: so I let it sit for a day and when i came back the temps were normal again. I checked the Thermistor readings and the FF thermistor and the Cabinet thermistor were normal again. But FZ was still up in the 600s. Then, this morning, I checked the temps again, and the freezer was at -2 and the fridge at 45. The FF and FZ thermistors were back in the 600s but the FF Cabinet was still normal.

Hi Shawn, it sounds like you have a problem with the refrigerator not going through the automatic defrost cycle. This can be caused by a failure of the defrost heater, defrost thermostat, evaporator thermistor, or main control board.

Here are some videos to help you troubleshoot those parts:

Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thank you very much,

I will test that stuff out. I am pretty sure the heater is working as I accidentally touched the thing and burnt my finger.

Would any of these parts allow it to work but not as well as it should?

The reason I ask is because it does appear to work. It just doesn't seem to always work or work as efficiently as it should. Like I mentioned in my update, it does go back to normal temperatures for a day or two, but then it's bad for a few hours to a day and then back to normal again.

Just wondering if there is a part I should start with in regard to testing based on the symptoms.

Yes, if it is acting up intermittently, I would start by replacing the thermistor on the evaporator coil and the defrost thermostat. Those are the two most common parts that can act up intermittently. If those don't resolve the issue, then you are probably looking at a bad main control board. The defrost heater is usually either good or bad, they do not normally act up intermittenly. Let me know what you find.

Temperature Sensor Thermistor - WR55X10025 (PD00000992)

Defrost Thermostat - WR50X10108 (PD00023844)

Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter