Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Whirlpool Ice Maker Trouble Shooting

Cool Help with Whirlpool Ice Maker Trouble Shooting

Model Number: wrx988sibm03
    Brand: Whirlpool

I need help diagnosing and fixing he ice maker in a Whirlpool French Door. It is a used unit but is working on all fronts except making ice.

Called a service tech and he said, "bad ice maker."

I replaced the filter and ice maker (new products). Neither the new or old ice maker are making ice on their own.

I believe I'm getting an "E0" code for Service Test #56 (possibly an "E1") its hard to tell with the differing brightness of the numbers.

When I do Service Test #45 both ice makers filled properly and waiting 90 mins or so doing Service Test #57 both harvested ice correctly. So there seems to be plenty of water pressure and its cold enough to freeze the cubes.

Water through the door has always worked.

Are the solenoids (water valves) the only thing left that could be bad? Obviously the ice maker is not communicating with the valves.

What else could it be??

I was hoping for a fix with just the new ice maker.

Parts Dr had/has the parts and they are reasonable $$

Thanks
    Zach

Which ice maker is not working?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Whirlpool model # wrx988sibm03
    both the new and old exhibit the same symptoms of filling and dispensing if I use the Service Codes 45 & 57.

Whirlpool model # wrx988sibm03
    both the new and old exhibit the same symptoms of filling and dispensing if I use the Service Codes 45 & 57.

You said "both ice makers" in your original post. Which of the two ice makers are you having an issue with?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

In testing the original ice maker by using the service codes 45 & 57 the old one (original) filled, froze and dumped but not on its own.

A service tech said, “bad ice maker”.

I bought and installed a new ice maker and it also fills, freezes and dumps with codes 45 & 57 but also not on its own.

I have not replaced the water valves but they seem to work correctly with commands 45 & 57!

Water through the door has always worked.

What’s the possibility either/or the valves are bad or the control board is bad?

Have you checked the temperature in the ice maker compartment? Try putting a thermometer in the ice bucket and leaving it for a while to check the temperature. If the ice maker doesn't get cold enough, it will not call for water.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I will try that. The fridg is at another location but when I force fill it with the Service Codes it freezes solid ice cubes in 90 mins or less. If itsnot getting cold enough, whats the fix for that??

You say, "in the ice bucket"? Do you mean the on in the door or the ice maker compartment in the ceiling of the fridg compartment, when checking the temperature?

Thanks
    Zach
    Last edited by Zach; 01-31-2024 at 10:52 AM.

Yes, the ice bucket in the door.

There are usually some air passages from the back wall of the refrigerator up to the ceiling that transfer the cold air from the evaporator coil to the ice maker. Sometimes an automatic defrost problem can cause the air flow to get blocked.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Yes, the ice bucket in the door.

There are usually some air passages from the back wall of the refrigerator up to the ceiling that transfer the cold air from the evaporator coil to the ice maker. Sometimes an automatic defrost problem can cause the air flow to get blocked.
    Iíve seen those and Iíll take your suggestion to check the ice bucket temperature. The unit is at my daughterís house so this will take a week or so.

Ice freezes well in the ice maker in the fridge roof.

If itís not cold enough in the ice cube tray what do I do about it? Whatís the ďautomatic defrostĒ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Iíve seen those and Iíll take your suggestion to check the ice bucket temperature. The unit is at my daughterís house so this will take a week or so.

Ice freezes well in the ice maker in the fridge roof.

If itís not cold enough in the ice cube tray what do I do about it? Whatís the ďautomatic defrostĒ?
    Whatís the optimal temp?

It usually needs to be 15F or colder to produce ice. The automatic defrost cycle on a refrigerator is a periodic process during which the refrigerator temporarily stops cooling to melt accumulated frost on the evaporator coils, preventing excessive ice buildup and ensuring optimal cooling efficiency.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

My goal is to fix it so it makes ice and not spend too much. I did get a new PD ice maker at a very reasonable price and a lot sooner than the mfg.

I does freeze water in the ice maker, I’d say in a normal amount of time.

Is there a sensor in the ice cube box on the door that feeds back to the ice maker?

If it’s in the defrost cycle making it too warm in the ice cube box how is that fixed?

There are two control boards (emitter and receiver) on the door that sense when the ice bucket is full. Those can fail. Also, check the wiring coming out of the door, I have seen some of the wires break and that can cause it to stop working.

A failure of the defrost system would usually be a bad defrost heater, defrost thermostat, or main control board. You have to melt the accumulated frost and replace the failed defrost component to fix the issue.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    There are two control boards (emitter and receiver) on the door that sense when the ice bucket is full. Those can fail. Also, check the wiring coming out of the door, I have seen some of the wires break and that can cause it to stop working.

A failure of the defrost system would usually be a bad defrost heater, defrost thermostat, or main control board. You have to melt the accumulated frost and replace the failed defrost component to fix the issue.
    The freezer and refrigerator both work normally so I assume that the auto defrost heater is ok.

I did have to remove all doors to move the refrigerator.

Some of this seems to be getting pretty far into the weeds with sensors and control boards.

I sure appreciate your help but Iím at a bit of a loss on how to troubleshoot those components?

I haven't seen a troubleshooting process listed by Whirlpool for these particular control boards. If you find a process, let me know please.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Thanks. Someone out there has to know.

Ok I put a thermometer in the door where the ice is dumped and it gets no colder than about 35ish, just below acceptable refrigerator temps. What do I do now?

Change that. In the ice bin in the door it’s 25ish degrees not “35ish”

Check the ice maker fan to see if it is working properly. Usually, the ice maker has to be 15F or colder to produce ice.

Ryan

PartsDr.com