Thread: Whirlpool WFW87HEDW0 - loose change, rocks, bearings?

Whirlpool WFW87HEDW0 - loose change, rocks, bearings?

Model Number: WFW87HEDW0
    Brand: Whirlpool

A long time ago I developed the habit of spinning the drum by hand after removing wet clothes to check for clothing that has become 'stuck' to the top of the drum from the spin cycle.

For several years now whenever I hand spin the drum, I hear what sounds like loose change, rocks or bearings rolling around along with some sloshing water and then settling at the bottom.

Whatever it is doesn't seem to be affecting the washer's functionality, but in the back of my mind I've always thought I should probably try to remove it.

When I had first noticed it, I checked and cleaned the filter in the drain pump under the drum, but whatever is making the sound is still there.

Looking at parts diagrams for this model, it looks like the tub/drum is one big assembly. Is it possible to access the space between the drum and tub to be able to remove anything that may be in that space?

It's very difficult to remove the inner spin basket. I wouldn't recommend attempting to do that unless you absolutely have to.

When the washer goes through the spin cycle, is it noisy then?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thank you, that's what I figured.

Whatever it is doesn't cause any additional noises during any of the machine's cycles. If I never hand turned it, I probably would've never even known there was anything stuck in there.

Maybe some coins worked their way under one of the drum baffles and that is what you are hearing?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

That very well could be. My kids were 4 and 5 when we bought it, and for several years we found many 'treasures' that had been left in their pockets.

I ended up taking a video while spinning it by hand to capture the sound. It was a week ago, but I believe it was right after a cycle had finished.

https://imgur.com/dBgKD77