Thread: Whilrpool electric dryer burning out "Push to Start" buttons.

Whilrpool electric dryer burning out "Push to Start" buttons.

Model Number: LER8857EZ0
    Brand: Whirlpool

Hello,

I have a Whirlpool electric dryer model LER8857EZ0 (I think it's s 0 vs an O) that is not working. It first had a problem where it would not start when I hit the push to start button. I smelled a bit of a burning plastic smell. I replaced the switch, and when I did so, I thought I smelled a bit of that same odor from in the area of the control panel when I still had the back of the panel open, but the dryer performed fine. At some point, maybe a week or two later (I don't remember), it failed to start after running other loads successfully and wanted to dry my last load of laundry for the night. I smelled the odor again.

I did not buy another switch or do any other work. I am an amateur who has never worked on appliances before, aside from replacing switches, etc.

Please advise what I should do next, what I should purchase, what else you may need from me, etc.

Kind regards...

Which part number did you replace?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Which part number did you replace?
    It should be WP3398095...the push to start button.

Thank you. My guess would be that the push to start switch is not actually the problem. Do you hear any noise when you push the start button?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Thank you. My guess would be that the push to start switch is not actually the problem. Do you hear any noise when you push the start button?
    I believe it made a noise, yes.

I have not tried using it in some time...I just plugged the dryer back in and it started.

What is causing this problem, taking all this into account, including the smell and not starting a while back (the last time I attempted using it)?

More info, since it's shutting off during use.

I used the dryer for a full load. It seemed ok. I put in a second load and at one point went to check on it and found it was not running, even though the clothes were not even close to being dry. I tried a manual cycle vs automatic, which did not make a difference. No sound when I hit the push to start. I unplugged it and let it rest for a while (I don't know how long), plugged it back in and started it back up without problem. After some time, I was sitting outside near where the exhaust is, and it sounded like it was getting louder, then it stopped with the clothes still not dry and would not restart. I let it rest a bit and when I tried it again, it buzzed and I smelled the burning plastic smell. Tried it again after some rest, and it buzzed for an extended bit, but finally started running. At some point I left it alone, found it not running, left it alone. I tried starting it again back in automatic mode, hit the start button and it did nothing. I must have left the main control knob in cycle because even though it didn't kick on, at some point it must have started on its own, because the clothes left inside were finally dry.

Does this feedback help with diagnosing the problem?
    Last edited by Martin_717; 05-23-2024 at 03:34 AM.

Thank you for the additional details. I have seen these dryers act like this when the drive motor is failing. The bearings in the motor fail, this causes the motor to overheat after it has been running for a while. When the motor overheats, there is a thermal safety device built into the motor that stops it from running until it cools down and resets. If you disassemble the dryer to access the motor, you should be able to turn the motor by hand when the belt is removed. Usually on a failed motor with bad bearings, you will have a hard time turning the motor shaft by hand.

If you do end up replacing the motor, the blower wheel often times seizes onto the shaft of the drive motor. If they are seized, I like to cut the shaft of the drive motor with a reciprocating saw.

Let me know what you find.

Drive Motor - 279827 (PD00002349)

Blower Wheel - WP694089 (PD00002470)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

You have been a very big help. I cannot order the parts currently, but will update you once I can and try installing them.

Sincere thanks...

Sounds good!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com