Thread: OVen Ignitor replacement

OVen Ignitor replacement

Model Number: MGR4452BDB
    Brand: Maytag

hello,
    just ordered a replacement oven ignitor, took the old one off, replaced it with the new one, no glow. I check the amp with meter and was reading 0. I check the voltage and it was reading 5.9-6.2, so there is voltage but no amp. Does that mean the replacement oven ignitor i have is dead, because i can not get any reading on the meter. The meter works because i checked another wire(light) and it was reading correctly. I have searched google for an answer but unable to find one. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BTW very desperate, Thanksgiving is at my house. aaaahhhhhhh no oven.!!!!

Sam

Sam,

The ignitor will need approximately 120 volts to operate correctly, with only 6 volts it won't work correctly. You will need to look at the schematic or post it up for me but more than likely the control board has fried and is not supplying the proper voltage to the ignitor to work correctly. You will not get the proper amp draw from the ignitor without the proper voltage. When the correct voltage is going to the ignitor you should see 3.0 - 3.5 amp draw.

This is the control board for your range:

Control Board - Part # PD00003287 (mfg # 5701M748-60)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Ryan

thank you for the quick reply. I do not understand what you mean by schematics. Can you elaborate a little more. also as a side note the control board with overlay that you mentioned, if it was the culprit would it still be working, it does light up, it does switch over to bake/broil, i can set the temperture, the clock is working, i do hear a click when i turn on bake and set the temperture. is there a way i can test it using the meter to see if it shortened out. Thank you and i appreciate all that you do.

sam

Sam,

The schematic is a wiring diagram. It is usually a small piece of paper folded up on the back side of the range.

Control boards can fail in many different ways. It is possible for the control board to fail and not send power to the ignitor and still function ok when pressing the buttons. You would need to do a voltage test at the control board to see if it is outputting a 120 volts to the ignitor when the oven is set to bake. If it outputs 120 volts at the control board then the control board is good, if it doesn't then the control board is bad and will need to be replaced.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

ryan,

ahh yes, i figuredi t was that. i have attached them as well as the back of the control board, please tell me where to check
    if the control board is sending the the necessary 120v to the ignitor. thank you very much

sam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0173.jpg   IMAG0167.jpg   IMAG0166.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cb0001.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	50
    I've made some notes on your board picture.

Ledbetter Appliance Repair,

thank you for your reply,

yes i check all the wiring and they were all reading 120v. i then took the control board out and shook it and it made some noise, so i take it that K1 is the culprit. I will attempt to desolder the K1 before shelling out the money to buy a new control board. Where would I be able to buy a replacmement part for my model. I appreciate all the help from this board.

there were previous posts on here by you Ledbetter Appliance Repair, that gave me instructions on how to check and it was helpful, now i come back on here and its gone... hmm. Once again thank you and thank you Ryan for your help as well.

Sam

Sam:
    Glad I was able to help! As far as finding the relay, you might find it in an electronics store or online by the part number on the relay but it might be a quicker fix to just buy the replacement board and keep that one to tinker with.

Brad